Thursday, 4 June 2015

Small is beautiful !

Today we are kicking off the next challenge over at Stamps and Stencils. The lovely Julia is our host and has chosen 'Small is Beautiful' for the theme. Oh crikey ! Panic definitely set in as I struggle with the word small, so thinking cap was on !


I had a trip up to Art from the Heart at the week end and I picked up a mini, chunky canvas so problem solved ! I started by using a couple of Tim Holtz stencils with Grunge Paste onto some Smoothy card and left it to dry.


The usual little wooden pieces accompanied the canvas and when you put them together they make little dinky houses.



I painted the canvas with Stone Fresco Finish paint then cut the card with the Grunge Paste on into little tiles and stuck them to the edges and just a few on the front. I also patted some more Grunge Paste on the opposite corners. 


I used Golden Fluid Acrylic paints to paint the whole thing then spritzed it with a Lindy's Stamp Gang spray and let it puddle and dry on the surface.
 


I used the Fluid Acrylics again and painted them onto some more Smoothy card and then stamped the sentiment from the Lin Brown ELB13 set and cut it up into separate words and edged them with Little Black Dress Fresco Finish paint.


The little house has also been painted with the Fluid Acrylics then I've stamped the flower from the Sara Naumann ESN14 stamp set. I painted it with the acrylics and added dots of paint along the petals and around the centre.The leaves are by Kaisercraft and I've used the same paints on them.



I sanded the Grunge Paste back on the little tiles and then added a further coat of gold Fluid Acrylic over the top. I couldn't resist using just a little Classic Treasure Gold over the textured areas to finish, I struggled to get a good photo as the project is quite dark but I think you can just make out the shine of the Treasure Gold.

Please do make sure you hop over to Stamps and Stencils to see the fabulous projects from the rest of the DT. You have a whole month to join in with us !

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning Sue! The little tiles are to die for and I will have to make some! The house is an inspirational idea and I can see a whole host of us using that idea in the future - I hope they all give you credit for it too! The colours are wonderfully grungy and the treasure gold lifts the texture to a new level. Can you tell I'm really loving this??! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The texture paste tiles are genius, and the color is lush and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Sue! Love the colours and you really managed so many different texture patterns in such a small space, how incredible! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea to use your canvas in this way and your idea for the little house is so inventive.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what a beauty Especially love the way you made the door
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Sue, and i cannot believe we both used those little bits of wood that we all thought useless. I can see them being used in more projects :)) xx
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous box canvas, love the deep colours and metal sheen. Great idea for the bits of wood.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous Sue - love the colours and textures xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous project Sue. Love how you cut the Grunge Paste stencilled pieces into tiles and I kept loads of those wooden pieces as I was sure there must be something could be done with them ;-). This is a lovely grungy looking piece.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miniature delight...of course! Such detail, love the tiles and the grungy colours..wonderful work as always Sue....you might even enjoy doing tiny?! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Small is beautiful, gorgeous piece, love the little tiles and the gorgeous opulent colours. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How inventive are you to use the wood shims to make your little house! Amazing textures and beautiful patina, good things really do come in small packages!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning Sue :-) love the depth of colours and the amazing textures. Beautiful!!

    Tfs and best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh I'm just in love with the greens in this, and how genius is that to patchwork the textures together!!
    Hugs
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue, it was lovely to see you creating your gorgeous art on Sunday at the Doncaster Dome, I told you I would look up your blog so....here I am. just want to say that I think your little project is absolutely stunning!!! fabulous textures and just toooooo darn cute. It would be great to hear from you...my blog is http://janeelizabethssworld.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Due to the amount of stupid spam comments I am receiving I have had to switch moderation on.
Thanks for leaving a comment, I truly love reading them all!